Friday, November 27, 2009

Wes Brown enjoying life at the back

Wes Brown will be targeting three more points – and a second successive league clean sheet – when United travel to Portsmouth this weekend.

Injuries in defence have given Wes a chance in his favoured central role recently, one he grasped with both hands in the 3-0 home win over Everton last weekend.

The Longsight-born player has endured his own maddening periods on the sidelines over the years, but when fully fit he remains a top-class defender, and he'll be looking to demonstrate that once more at Fratton Park on Saturday.

"Rio and Vida have missed a few games, which has given me a chance and it’s been nice to be back in the centre," the 30-year-old says. "Throughout my career that’s always where I’ve said I want to play, but it really doesn’t bother me either way.

"I’m really enjoying it at the moment – I’m training well and when I’ve played I’ve felt 100 per cent fit. I’ve had a few frustrating seasons, but I always try my best to come back strongly and, touch wood, up to now I’ve been fine."

Wes is not the only Brown to have featured in United colours this season – brother Reece has been making a name for himself in the Academy and Reserves sides, although he's currently sidelined through injury.

"I try to watch him as much as I can," Wes adds. "We’re quite similar in the way we play, but he’s a lot taller than me and is very a powerful defender. We talk a lot about football and hopefully we’ll get the chance to play together one day."

Written by Paul Grippo, a 'Crazy' United fan
Thanks for reading!