Saturday, June 16, 2012

FC Barcelona join Man Utd in race to sign Luka Modric


Barcelona are ready to join Manchester United in the race to sign Luka Modric this summer, according to Spain's assistant coach Paco Jimenez.
Luka Modric
Jimenez has claimed Barcelona scouts are keeping tabs on the Croatia international, who is widely expected to leave Tottenham this summer.
"He's playing very well; Barcelona have someone watching him," Jimenez told reporters.
"He was present at Croatia's game against Italy, but I can not say who he is."
Modric has been on United's radar since last summer and recently emerged as Sir Alex Ferguson's top transfer target, while Chelsea and Manchester City have also shown interest over the past year.
Speaking to Croatian website Gol.hr earlier this week, the 26-year-old admitted he was aware of interest in him, saying: "There are all sorts of rumours still circulating.
"I'm not saying that the clubs are not interested, but I'm still under contract with Tottenham."
The midfielder also insisted he has no problems at Tottenham, adding: "I have no problems. I do not need to wear a mask when I go out into the street or shopping."
It is thought Modric is keen on joining a club playing in the Champions League next season and last month he revealed: "I will decide about my future after the Euros. "I will make the decision where to continue my career.
"I’m ready for the big tests."