Monday, July 2, 2012

Liverpool FC and Newcastle on alert as Luuk De Jong set to leave FC Twente


Luuk de Jong, who has been linked with a number of clubs including Liverpool and Newcastle, is set to leave FC Twente, his agent has confirmed.

Luuk de Jong (credit: Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Getty Images)
Newcastle are understood to have lodged an improved offer for the 21-year-old, who has been on Liverpool's radar for some time, after failing with an £8million bid last month.

Twente coach Steve McClaren last week warned it would take "stupid money" for a move to go through after reports suggested the Magpies had sent a delegation to open talks with the Eredivisie outfit.

But although a fee is yet to be agreed with any club, Louis Laros insists his client will be leaving Twente this summer.

"Luuk has taken the decision to move on," Laros told TC Tubantia.

"He wants to develop as a player in a bigger league.

"The important thing for us is the development of Luuk. Not the money, but the way of playing and the amount of playing time he will get will be decisive.

"Luuk scored 25 goals in the Dutch league last season, how many more does he need to score? 35?"

Borussia Monchengladbach are also thought to be keen on signing the Netherlands international, but Laros insists his client is still open to holding talks with any interested clubs.

"Luuk is still a Twente player," he later told Voetbal International.

"If the right club comes along then he will happily make the move.

"The club doesn't need to be a top club, but a good club in a big league where Luuk can play regularly and develop as a player."